JSC Gazprom Neftekhim Salavat set the goal of creating a 3D model of the production process. In addition, the Institute was expected to:
- Create a 3D model of the production process using Smart 3D technology, involving all design lines in order to gain as much information as possible
- Identify collisions
- Produce reports from the 3D model
- Create emergency simulators based on the 3D model
Recovering thousands of drawings and as-built documentation from the plants posed a challenge to engineers and other specialists from Neolant and Hexagon PPM. The lack of an application among SmartPlant® Enterprise solutions for creating a general plot plan (a diagram which shows the buildings, utility runs, engineering, equipment layout, and other constructions of a project site) was challenging, because other 2D and 3D CAD tools had to be brought in. An interface with SmartPlant Foundation was created.
The isolated location of some objects and preoccupation of some of the nuclear power plant’s staff members with other duties also posed some challenges that were overcome with a holistic change in management and a multi-discipline collaboration approach.
In less than two years the following tasks were completed:
- The process of 3D data migration from other Intergraph Smart 3D models and PDMS with the use of technology Reference 3D was completed
- TX and OB reports were set up: P&ID drawings, bills of materials, pipe catalogs, isometric drawing and progress charts
The main goal was to implement the Smart 3D system, which helped to improve overall design quality as well as improve the quality of data exchange between the Design Institute and the customer. The customer had access to the 3D models in Intergraph Smart Review format already at the design stage of the project, which helped coordinate wise technical decisions and decrease the error of risk at the stage of construction.
You can read the whole case study here.